Actos is a thiazolidinedione (a class of medicine that treats type II diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels). It’s available in the form of a tablet. Just like other medications, it has desirable effects and unwanted effects. The starting dose is 15 mg or 30 mg which is taken once daily. You may need a stronger dose of 45 mg if necessary, but with a doctor’s prescription. In the course of its use, you will experience Actos side effects. It can be used on its own or combined with other drugs like Metformin. The drug is effective and does the following:
- Reduces insulin resistance and the amount of glucose made by your liver
- Enables the body to dispose off excess blood sugar in an effective manner
- Makes your body cells more sensitive to insulin
Interactions with Other Drugs
It is a prescription drug and you must be aware of negative effects of Actos and report to your doctor in case you experience them. The medication may interact with other medicines affecting its effectiveness or deteriorates side effects of Actos medication. A drug interaction may be fatal; to prevent this, discuss with your doctor all your medical conditions and the drugs you are one. The physician will make a judgment if this medication is good for you or not. Outlined below are substances which may interact with this medciation:
- Alcohol or beverages which contain alcohol
- Aspirin or medications which contain aspirin
- Birth control pills
- Medicines for diabetes including insulin
- Heart medicines
- Medications for weight loss
- Anabolic steroids
- Drugs for allergies, cold and asthma
- Medicines for mental problems
- Thyroid medicines
- A few herbal dietary supplements
- Drugs to relieve pain and inflammation such as Ibuprofen or Naproxen
- Steroids drugs, for example, Cortisone
- Blood thinners like Warfarin
Medicines interact differently from one person to another; the outlined lists don’t include all the medication likely to interact with Actos. Talk with your physician for more details about possible interactions and don’t take any drugs without informing your doctor. Be on the lookout of negative effects as well.
Actos Side Effects
The drug unwanted effects are many, from common to more severe. They vary from one patient to another. Thus, the negative effects your friend on Actos will experience may not occur to you. The crucial thing is to be aware that the negative effects are real and watch out for them. If you experience the drug unwanted effects, don’t be scared, relax and inform your doctor. Ask your doctor in advance the undesirable effects to look for and the action to take if they take place. Common negaive effects can be irritating once you start the medication. As you get used to the drug, they clear on their own.
The common negative effects include:
- Gradual weight gain
- Signs of cold, for example, stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat, and cough
- Muscle pain
- Back pain
- Tooth problems
If the above ordinary negative effects persist and make you fearful, don’t hesitate to consult your doctor. He may give you drugs to relieve the symptoms or natural remedies. The medication negative effect- tooth problems may be mild at the beginning, but if it doesn’t clear, it can be painful and interfere with your daily activities. If the unwanted effects don’t clear after a couple of days or weeks, seek medical intervention. You may tend to tolerate side effects weight gain; adding extra kilos isn’t painful, but remember the health risks involved if you turn out to be obese. If you have more questions on the normal side effects you can always refer to the health care professional.
Severe negative effects
- Bludder Cancer
- Allergic reactions, for example, skin rash
- Blood in your urine
- Bone fractures
- Heart problems
- Rapid weight gain
- Blurred vision
- Breathing problems
- Dark urine
- Fever, chills
- Painful and increased urination
Unfavorable side effects tend to worsen if the dose of this drug given is high; Actos 45 mg negative effects may be serious if compared to 15 mg, although it depends on genetic makeup, the period you have taken the medication and others drugs you may be taking. Bear in mind that Actos can intensify pre-existing medical conditions. Let’s have a detailed look of some serious effects:
- Cancer – Cancer is a dangerous effect more so it can lead to bladder cancer. Thus, if you have a history of cancer, being treated for cancer or have bladder problems; you shouldn’t use the drug unless as a last resort, the doctor will monitor you closely. Seek medical attention immediately if you note the following, red color in your urine, need to urinate frequently, unusual back pain and painful urination; they are signs of bladder cancer.
- Heart problems – Heart problems includes heart failure, particularly to patients who have a history of heart conditions, although it can lead to heart failure if you don’t have a history of heart issues. One of the characteristics of heart failure is the inability of your heart to pump blood properly; heart failure isn’t the same as a heart attack.
- Edema – Edema refers to swelling due to too much fluid trapped in the body tissues. The negative effects may affect many body parts, but it mostly affects your hands, arms, feet, legs and ankles. Bear in mind the two unwanted effects of Actos namely rapid weight gain and edema may contribute to your heart problems. That’s why it’s important to visit a health facility if the negative effects persist, especially the normal ones, for severe effects, seek medical help with immediate effect.
Last but not least, the above information should not substitute medical advice from your doctor. It is to keep you updated and to remind you what to look out for the side effects of Actos and seek your doctor’s opinion on the same.