Nowadays, type II diabetes is on the rise. The condition affects mainly adults and can lead to complications if treatment isn’t sought early in advance. The signs and symptoms of type II diabetes are vague hence difficult to detect. If you note something out of the ordinary such as frequent thirst and urination, it advisable to seek medical attention. Take note one can live with the condition for years before it is diagnosed. There are many treatment options for type II diabetes like Pioglitazone 15 mg.
What is Pioglitazone?
It’s an oral prescription medication used to lower blood glucose levels by making your body cells more sensitive to insulin hormone, enabling the cells to take up more sugar from the blood. It can be used alone or together with other drugs such as Metformin or insulin. Pioglitazone HCL 15 mg belongs to a class of medications known as thiazolidinediones. The medicine is in the form of a tablet and available in the following strength:
- 15 mg tablet
- 30 mg tablet
- 45 mg tablet
The physician may start you on Pioglitazone Hydrochloride 15 mg and adjust it if the lower dose doesn’t sufficiently reduce the blood sugar levels. The tablet is taken with or without meals once daily at almost the same time for it to remain effective. The medication controls type II diabetes but doesn’t cure it. It may take two weeks for the blood glucose levels to decrease and two to three months for one to experience the full effect of the drug. However, since people respond differently, a patient may feel better before the 14 days are over. So, continue taking the correct dose of the drug as prescribed, even though you feel well. Also, don’t stop taking it unless the doctor advises otherwise. In case you miss a dose, take it soonest possible for the blood glucose levels to remain constant and within the normal range. Nonetheless, if it’s almost time for the next dose, skip the dose missed and continue with the regular dosing. Never take a double dose to make up for a missed dose. If uncertain of the next course of action after a missed dose, contact the medical care provider or pharmacist for advice. The use and dose of the children are determined by the doctor. Don’t skip the physician appointments since they are crucial for him to check your progress and to ensure the drug is working as expected. Blood and urine tests may be carried out to check for Pioglitazone 15 mg side effects.
What to Remember While on This Medication
- Pioglitazone is used to treat or manage type II diabetes, thus don’t take the medication if you have insulin-dependent diabetes
- The drug may trigger changes in the blood glucose; you should be aware of signs and symptoms of hyperglycemia (high) or hypoglycemic (low) blood sugar episodes and be prepared to handle them if they occur. You can refer to the health professional for more information on this
- Individuals who take the Pioglitazone for more than one year are at risk of developing bladder cancer than those who did not take it
- The drug can increase the chance of conceiving, even though the monthly periods are irregular due to a medical condition. Contact the health care professional about the effective birth control method which you can use while on the medication
- Pioglitazone 15 mg tablets can lead to drug interactions; therefore it’s important to inform the doctor of all the medication you are on such as prescription and nonprescription medicines, nutritional supplements, vitamins and herbal products. Taking alcohol and Pioglitazone may decrease blood sugar; it is not safe to take alcohol and beverages which contain alcohol while on the medication.
- The drug puts women at a higher risk of bone fractures. Ask the physician to give you some tips to keep the bones strong and to prevent fractures
- Taking the drug leads to Pioglitazone 15 mg side effects for an example headache, sore throat, gas and weight gain. Discuss the risks and the befits of the medication; this will help you to be prepared and the action to take if you encounter the unwanted effects
Some healthy ways to better manage diabetes type II
The secret to managing the condition doesn’t depend only on Pioglitazone 15 mg. There are simple lifestyle changes, which can beat type II diabetes like:
- Improve your diet – A healthy diet is vital for diabetes patients. Your diet should include fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meat, whole grains, beans and low-fat dairy. Focus on eating non-starchy vegetables such as broccoli, lettuce, and carrots. Limit high fast food and high glycemic index foods like white rice and bread. Fast food increases the probability of developing insulin resistance.
- Shed the extra kilos – Most people with diabetes are obese or overweight. Losing weight may improve blood sugar levels. Individuals who have most of the fat in the belly are at a higher risk of type II diabetes than those with fat distributed in the thighs, hips, and buttocks.
- Exercise frequently – Physical activity can keep type II diabetes under control even without losing a kilo. Exercise such as walking, makes the muscle to contract and push glucose out of the blood and into the cells, hence regulating blood sugar levels.
- Control sleep apnea– Most overweight individuals with type II diabetes experiences episodes of sleep apnea. It is a condition in which one stops breathing temporally while asleep, increasing the risk of death due to a heart attack or stroke. If you have sleep apnea, inform the doctor for a special test to be done to detect it.
- Manage stress – Stress makes it harder to control blood glucose levels. Try relaxation techniques to ease stress, such as yoga, meditation, massage, and music. Stress relief leads to better sleep. According to research, inadequate sleep may worsen type II diabetes. Aim to sleep at least six hours per night.
To sum it all, the above basic principles can be as effective as medications such as Pioglitazone 15 mg to manage the condition. Make a decision to live a healthy life and you will reap the benefits.