Among the many fertility drugs ladies are taking these days, Dostinex is one of them. If you are thinking of consuming this drug, you must first learn about the Dostinex uses and abuses. This tablet contains an active ingredient called “Cabergoline”. This ingredient mimics the activity of dopamine, a substance present in the brain.
Purpose of Dostinex
Dostinex is used for a number of reasons, some of which have been discussed below:
- It prevents and stops the production of milk for medical reasons like abortion, childbirth or stillbirth.
- It prevents disorders which can be caused by the over production of a hormone called Prolactin. The common disorders include missed or irregular periods, stopping of ovulation, and abnormal production of breastmilk.
- Tumors in pituitary glands because of increased production of Prolactin.
How Does the Drug Work?
The main ingredient in the drug called Cabergoline does its work for treating certain disorders resulting from the production of high level of Prolactin hormone in the blood. This hormone is produced by pituitary gland in the brain. It is the same hormone which simulates the production of breast milk. Cabergoline reduces the production of Prolactin hormone by targeting the dopamine receptors in the brain. Once this happens, the females who have fertility problem can get a big relief.
The drug is available in capsule shaped tablet. On one side, you will see “P” & “U” and on the other side you will see “700” engraved.
- In case this medication is being used for preventing lactation, 1 mg of Cabergoline is usually given by the doctor once a day after having the baby.
- In case it is being used for treating the Prolactin disorders, the doctor will recommend you to take 0.5 mg per week or 1 to 2 doses each week.
The dosage of this drug depends on the lab test results showing the amount of Prolactin present in the blood. This medication should be taken with food. You doctor might recommend you a different dosage depending on certain medical conditions.
Precautions and Possible Side Effects
The medicine contains inactive ingredients which can result in allergic reactions. Do tell your doctor if you have certain allergies and medical history like high blood pressure, liver disease, and heart valve problem.
The drug might make you dizzy so do not drive or get involved in some activity that requires you to be alert. Stop using the drug in case you experience the following side effects:
- Short breath while doing exertion
- Discomfort in chest or dry cough
- Feeling you might pass out
- Pain in lower back
- Less to no urination
- Swelling in ankles
- Loss of appetite or rapid reduction in weight
- Weakness and tiredness
If you are facing fertility problems or your hormone level has increased, this drug might help you out. Dostinex uses might attract you to take this drug for resolving your hormonal problems but it is not necessary that it will be best for you. Talk to your doctor about all your concerns and then make the right choice depending on the blood test results.