There are advantages and disadvantages of taking fertility drugs such as Luveris. There are many fertility drugs to choose from and they have brought hope to men and women dealing with infertility and yearn to become parents. Although some of the drugs have one or a number of side effects, but the benefits outweigh the potential risks. Below are some benefit of fertility drugs to both men and women:
- Stimulate hormone production – the injections and the pills used to restore fertility contain man-made hormones, which help in hormonal imbalance. In a man, for example, the drugs increases testosterone hormone whereas in a woman they trigger the production of progesterone and estrogen.
- Increase semen production – the major cause of infertility in men is the inability of the genitals to secrete high-quality semen. The medicines are given in this case lead to the production of quality semen, they also increase the volume of ejaculated semen, hence raising the chances of making a woman pregnant.
- Regulating ovulation – lack of ovulation or irregular ovulation is a main contributing factor of infertility in women. The fertility drugs restore ovulation through ovulation induction as well as growth and development of ovarian follicles.
- Normalizes blood glucose– elevated blood sugar levels may cause infertility. Hence the medications prescribed in this case regulate the blood sugar, act as fertility drugs; they treat infertility and diabetes.
- Minimize the risk of miscarriage – as indicate at the start of the article, the benefits are many, they extend over pregnancy too. A lot of fertility medicines contain minerals and vitamins which are critical for the normal growth of the fetus; Pills, as well as injections given during in vitro fertilization or in the natural cycle, lowers the risk of miscarriage.
- Improve blood flow – fertility therapy not only stimulates the activity of one’s reproductive organs but also improves the blood flow.
What is Luveris?
It’s a fertility medication given through injection and contains lutropin alfa as the active ingredient. It’s the synthetic form of a natural pituitary gland hormone known as the luteinizing hormone.
What is the Drug Used For?
How Does the Fertility Injection Work?
Think of this, naturally, without taking the drug, in a female’s ovaries, LH and FSH support the growth and maturation of follicles; in the follicles are developing eggs. Additionally, FSH increases estrogen production. Because of this influence, the most dominant follicle continues to develop. As the quantity of estrogen increases in the blood stream, LH surge is triggered. This leads to the final maturation and ovulation (release of an egg from the ovary) takes place.
If Luveris is given, it imitates the actions of the natural luteinizing hormone. It is given in combination with man-made FSH injections like Gonal-F. The drugs stimulate development and maturation of ovarian follicles and eggs if a woman is experiencing difficulties conceiving due to a serious deficiency of FSH and LH.
The starting dose of the medication is 75 IU (international unit), the shot is given under the skin. If the nurse has taken you through training to self-administer the injection, strictly follow the prescribing information and the injection procedure. Remember to rotate the injection sites each time you take the shot. To avoid receiving two injections, Gonal-F and Luveris may be mixed in the same syringe and administered as one shot. The treatment may last for 14 days or less. Once the dose of the drug has been prepared, it must be used immediately and injection materials disposed of appropriately, preferably in sharp containers. If the injectable solution seems cloudy, has some lumps or it’s discolored, don’t use it but contact the physician.
Follow the dosing schedule and attend doctor’s appointments. Ultrasounds will be carried out to check how the ovaries are responding to the shots. If the follicles have matured, human chorionic gonadotropin is given to trigger ovulation.
In the course of its use, one may be at risk of unwanted effects.
Below are the common side effects:
- Breast tenderness
- Pain, itching, swelling at the injection spot
- Painful periods
Before taking the medication, inform the medical care provider if you have:
- Infertility that isn’t related to lack of ovulation
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding without any cause and medical treatment hasn’t been sought
- An ovarian cyst
- Uterus or ovary cancer
- A tumor in the pituitary gland
- If pregnant
Also, your spouse (the man) will be examined to confirm his fertility before the medical care provider puts you on the medication.
What to Bear in Mind While on the Medication
Before taking the fertility injection, the health practitioner will check the functioning of the adrenal glands as well as the thyroid gland to confirm you don’t have tumors and the prolactin hormone in the blood are within the normal range since they can affect fertility
Prior the fertility treatment, the doctor will carry out tests like blood test, urine test, and ultrasounds to check how the ovaries are functioning and to measure estrogen levels. Furthermore, once the treatment is started, tests will be carried out regularly as well until the follicles have matured
In the course of the therapy, if either the blood or the urine test indicate high levels of estrogen or the ultrasound scan show the ovaries are overstimulated and may lead to OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome). Treatment with Luveris should be discontinued temporally and abstain from sexual intercourse or use barrier contraception for four days. If you experience the following, contact the physician as they could be signs of OHSS:
- Pain or swelling in the abdomen
- Rapid weight gain
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased thirst
The medication shouldn’t be used during pregnancy as it can be harmful to the unborn baby or lead to birth defects. In case you become pregnant, inform the medical care provider right away. If the doctor has prescribed the drug and you concerned about Luveris cost, there are pharmacies you can purchase it from. Come up with a list of reputable pharmacies and compare the Luveris price, go for the best price
Infertility is treated with a combination of a number of drugs. Use all the medicines as directed by the fertility expert. Don’t change the doses or the schedule of the drugs unless instructed otherwise by the specialist.