Men need to eat right to cause a pregnancy; diet can influence man’s fertility. It’s true that after conception, you need to watch what you eat; you must come up with a diet plan for two. Equally, before conception, your teammate in conception requires his share of fertility diet foods for men. Research has proved that foods that increase male fertility aid in increasing your chances of conception. However, there are foods to avoid since they may impair a male’s fertility.
Male Fertility Foods
Before going through fertility diet for men, what is male fertility? It is the ability of a man to make a fertile woman pregnant. Aim to boost your male fertility naturally. Add to your menu the following foods for male fertility and make a baby sooner than you expect:
It increases testosterone levels and sperm production, eventually increasing your fertility. Zinc can be damaged in the process of cooking the food. Your diet must contain a percentage (50%) of raw foods rich in zinc. Rich sources of zinc are beef tenderloin, lamb, oysters, and venison. It’s obvious you can’t eat raw meat; raw sources that are easy to eat include sesame seeds, raw pumpkin seeds, and green peas. If you take zinc, sperm count will never be a problem.
- Folic acid
It boosts healthy sperms. Low folate levels raise risk of an abnormal chromosome in the sperm. If fertilization takes place with an abnormal sperm, the consequence is a birth defect like Down syndrome or an occurrence of a miscarriage. Sources of folic acid are lentil beans, asparagus, spinach and sweet potato.
Consume animal and dairy products to get B12, however, you must have a healthy digestion and avoid taking highly processed food to increase your sperm count.
- Fruits and vegetables
Fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants to protect your sperm from cellular damage. Also, they make sperms strong and speedy. Strong and speedy sperms get to the fallopian tubes with ease to fertilize the egg. Vitamin A is crucial to hinder slow sperms. Carrots, leafy vegetables, red peppers, and apricot are rich in vitamin A. Vitamin C is important for motility and viability of your sperms. Orange juice, tomatoes, grapefruit, cauliflower, strawberries, and broccoli are foods that promote fertility in men and rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C can be damaged during cooking. It is advisable to take them while raw such as tomatoes.
- L- Carnitine
It is an essential amino acid nutrient that helps the sperm cells to function properly. It increases the amount of semen ejaculated, increases your sperm count and motility. A good source is a dark chocolate, go for the darkest chocolate. Other foods that increase fertility in men and good sources of L-Carnitine are nuts, seeds, some vegetables like broccoli, garlic, parsley, just to mention but a few.
It is a super food as it contains antioxidant, which aids in blood circulation, minimizes the chances of getting cardiovascular disease and reduces inflammation. Apart from that, it protects your sperm from oxidation. Additionally, it leads to sperm quality, increase sex libido and improves your mood.
Do you want a simple way to improve your sperm count and quality? Drink a lot of water during the day. Water supports sperm production and increase amount of semen ejaculated. The highest percentage of semen is water; this means it is water based.
- Eat whole grains
Eat whole grains throughout the day, but in moderation; to boost reproduction and aid digestion.
A good source of omega 3 fatty acids. They improve sperm motility, vitality, size, and shape.
Don’t underestimate them; they are a powerful source of anti-inflammatory antioxidants and good for sperm health (mobility, quality, and sperm count)
Tips to Include In Male Fertility Diet
Only one sperm is needed to fertilize an egg. However, chances of sperm getting to the egg are very small. The high the sperm count during ejaculation the better, to beat all the odds and penetrate the egg. The foods discussed above improve sperm count and speed. As a man, you can follow the following tips as you take fertility foods for men:
- Eat organic foods only to prevent pesticides and herbicides
- Eat a fertility smoothie daily
- Eat vegetable salads daily
- Eat dark green leafy vegetable daily
- See to it that you eat nuts and seeds daily
- Drink fresh vegetable and fruit juice daily
- Purpose to take a multi-vitamin daily – supplements aren’t substituted for the best food for male fertility, but they assist in getting all the nutrients that you require.
- Exercise regularly to maintain a healthy BMI since obesity is associated with male infertility. At least spare 30 minutes of your time to exercise. Remember, strenuous exercise will lower testosterone levels and that’s not good news for your sperm count and production.
Drinks And Foods To Avoid In Fertility Diet For Men
Certain foods are harmful to your reproduction and should be avoided at all cost. It is your fertility which is at risk. Furthermore, you can take fertility foods for men, but live a lifestyle that will comprise your fertility and your overall health. For the male fertility diet to be effective you must avoid some foods and at the same time live a healthy lifestyle; you can manage to do this if you:
- Do away with junk food – it is not good for your waistline and heart. The sugary foods can lead to male infertility. You now have a good reason to fight the cravings for junk food.
- Avoid high-mercury fish – mercury is associated with infertility. Avoid tilefish, tuna steak, and shark since they are high in mercury. Substitute them for salmon and shellfish.
- Reduce intake of caffeine – it can reduce the chances of making your spouse pregnant.
- Quit alcohol consumption – alcohol may compromise your sperm health. If you must drink, take at most two drinks per day
- Quit smoking cigarettes and marijuana – tobacco is associated with sluggish sperms and sperm volume, whereas, marijuana interferes with the development of sperm and leads to low sperm count.
Well, you know what it takes to boost male fertility with fertility foods for men, the tips to follow and what to avoid. You are the one to take the actions and implement the diet.